Monday, August 3, 2009

11 years ago

Today is the 11th anniversary of my father's death. The memories of that day are still so vivid in my mind. I came across this today-I have not seen this in several years but today there it was. It was written and read by one of my father's best friends (who has now joined him in heaven) at his funeral. It describes my father perfectly. To preface it, I should tell you all that my father was a barber at the same shop which he later owned for over 20 years.
"The Most Human Man"
"Have ya' got time for a cup?" was the sign, it was time to talk again.
And talk we did, about boys and toys and human events,
Because he was the most human man I've ever known.
We talked about difficulties, not complaining that we had them,
but how to get through them because there were still things to be done.
We talked about successes, not crowing because we had them,
but how they were brought about because more successes are always welcome.
And we talked about keeping humans human, not that we had all the answers,
but we were looking for some because being human makes people whole.
Oh, yes, we talked, maybe two hundred times and I learned more each time
about empathy, honesty, loyalty and service. About friendship and humanity in being.
"Have ya' got time for a cup?" It's time to talk. We've lots of memories to tell.
Memories to give us a better tomorrow, memories of the most human man I've ever known."

What a beautiful reminder of who my father was-a man of complete integrity! I am still learning from his wisdom.

These past few weeks are hard ones for our family, On July 23, was the 13th anniversary of my mother's death. If my father sounded like a saint, you should have known my mom!!
This was read at her funeral:
"I thank you for the love you each have shown, but now it's time I travel on alone.
So grieve a while for me, if grieve you must, then let your grief be comforted in trust.
It's only a while that we must part, so bless the memories within your heart.
I won't be far away, for life goes on. So if you need me, call and I will hear."

My mother was sick and knew she was going to die, she picked that to be read to us at her funeral. That was her; totally selfless always there for anybody and everybody and so full of life! So that is what we all have done, my three brothers, two sisters and I, we have continued to live and keep their memories alive!

I wrote all of this not because I am sad, I am a little, but because I have been so blessed!!
For those of you who question if heaven exists, stop questioning and just believe because I am excited to get there some day and I hope to see you all there so you can meet my parents or see them again if you were lucky enough to have known them!

No comments: